Friday, August 04, 2006





YEA a fellow rockhound! I just visited my friend Jafabrit's blog and I discover that she is a rockhound too and has some fascinating rocks with faces and personalities in her blog! You can see them here: http://jafabrit.blogspot.com/ When we went to Kentucky last month we visited the creek down there and I have found some really neat fossils and strange rocks under the clear shallow water. This is one I picked up because it has such an interesting texture and tonight I was looking and noticed some 'sparkly' stuff in one of the cracks. I washed it with a toothbrush and soapy water to see if I could see it more clearly. It's tempting to crack it open but I won't because it may just be sand inside and I don't want to ruin it's unique shape. Here is a plain photo of it and one I photoshopped. Darn no matter how hard I try I can't get a great close-up pic because they always look a little blurry.

6 comments:

jafabrit said...

wow! no wonder you picked this one up,it is wonderful. Are you going to put it somewhere special?
I have a bowl of rocks in my studio and I sometimes just pick them up so I can hold them. silly but there ya go.

hey thanks for the shout out.

tlwest said...

LOL Cool!! that has the shape of dinosaur poop or an egg how big is it ?

Lynette said...

Hi J.B. I have it on top of my microwave in the kitchen right now. LOL I know what you mean, I have rocks saved all over the house, even in my jewelry box.
Ha Terri it may be fossilized dinosaur doodoo! I can see little sparkly stuff when I hold it under the light oh it's tempting to crack it open but like my husband said it may just have a little spot of crystals in it and the rest just rock so I'll resist the temptation.

Lynette said...

oops forget to tell you that it's about 2 1/4 inches wide.

Cynthia said...

I love rocks too! When I was in school I had to take a science with a lab and needed the easiest one since my math skills are shaky, so I signed up for geology 101 with lab..."Rocks for Jocks" as it was called.

Well, it wasn't easy, but had limited math (that was good). I loved it so much, I almost changed my major from fine art to geology...except that would have delayed graduation another 3 years and most of the jobs are in oil exlporation off the continental shelf. LOL.

Anyway, nice rock...I almost picked some up from my trip...but didn't.

Lynette said...

Thanks Cyn and I hope you had a great time on your trip! I'm with you, I had 2 geology classes in college and it surprised me how much I loved that subject. Ha I can still even remember the tectonic plate theory and the difference between igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks LOL! But I tried to take a physics class one time and sheesh most of it flew right over my head with too much math LOL!